Wednesday, February 17, 2016

#44: Hold That Tiger

Cat-holding: this will be the new "mindfulness" fad. Get in ahead, folks.

The cats and I have this thing, where they prefer to sit on and cuddle with my wife and see me more as just a food dispenser. Lemmy especially.

So we were joking around about it this evening and my wife bets me I can't hold Lemmy in my hands for two minutes. (He'll routinely take a long holding from her, even riding in her sweater.)

Pull out the stop watch and give it a try: I pick up Lemmy, pet him, talk to him, and he squirms out after 29 seconds. What the hell?

Try again, says my wife. Hold more still. Don't do anything but hold him. Slow down. Breathe. Be calm.

Fine, so I'm a fidgety, bouncy person. I get ragged on at work (and home, and on the bus) for always drumming on things with my fingers, I'm shaky, I have trouble holding still. But let's see about this.

I try again.  I don't talk so much beyond a murmur. I don't pet so much. I just stand, slow my breathing, gently rock a bit, still my mind. 30 seconds .......... 60 .......... 1:30 ..... 1:45...1;50...1:55, 56, 57,58,59 BOOM! Did it! I set Lemmy down gently.  He meows contentedly.

That was interesting. But now I'm all sneezy.

No comments:

Post a Comment