Tuesday, April 12, 2016

#78: Fa Schnitzel, My Nitzel

Oh man, so then Sunday night my wife decided to make some schnitzel for dinner.  First time for her making it, and the first time I've had home-made schnitzel.

She set to work.


And I had to think back, when was the last time I actually just had a schnitzel and fries?  It had been a surprisingly long time.  It was in Berchtesgaden, Germany, in 2004.  Oh, here's a picture of it!


Yeah, that was a good schnitzel.  Good fuel for a cockamamie plan my brother and I had to go backpacking up into the Alps to camp out for the night. Except, I guess they don't really do that in Germany, they go to little huts instead? And, we got started really late, so we missed the last gondola up. So instead of setting out into the high country, we just hiked up this trail from the parking lot, trying our best to find something resembling a campsite. We failed. We ended up just slugging a bunch of Jaegermeister when the trail petered out at a nice viewpoint....


...and then hiking back out, riding some Go-Karts and getting a hotel room.  

ANYWAY, that's the last schnitzel I had. So how did our home-schnitzel stack up?


Look at that! Pretty goddamned well, I say.  I hold to tradition and eat it up with loads of lemon juice and ketchup, but her recipe included a little anchovy-garlic vinaigrette which soaked into the schnitzel and did in fact kick it up a notch.

Now, for our next trick, I would like to try and recreate this other extremely memorably meal from the Bavarian Alps:

MEAT, WITH MEAT, ON MEAT, WITH A SIDE OF MEAT.
AND DON'T SKIMP ON THE KRAEUTERBUTTER!



1 comment:

  1. Great to see these old pics again. Your salad was definitely better than the german one. And our plan was NOT cacamamie!

    ReplyDelete