Saturday, January 16, 2016

#14: Foo Foo Coffee Drink

My coffee desires are ... unconventional.

While I've been in a Starbucks, and other Starbucksian places, I've only ever ordered a cup of coffee.  Sometimes an iced coffee.

I know being all contrary and saying something like this is as old as the espresso trend itself.  But I'm not telling you this to boast, to rip open my internet shirt and let you see all my internet chest hair about how I only drink rill coffee with beef in it.

It's just a fact about me: I am a stubborn ass.  America, I have refused your pumpkin spice lattes and your frappacinos for decades without being able to say why.  Not coincidentally, when I was brainstorming ideas for this "try a new thing" blog, "Foo Foo Coffee Drink" was the first thing on the list.

So this Friday I stepped away from the office for a bit to give one a shot.

I looked at the menu without comprehension, even though the Starbucks I went into had helpful diagrams explaining what words like "cappuccino" and "latte" and "grande" actually meant.

Let's see here.  Macchiato, that sounds pretty much like not coffee.  And ... yeah, let's caramel that up, that'll be good and foo foo."  So that's what I got: caramel macchiato.

They put my name on a little cup and set off to make it, which took a long time.  I was kind of unsure of myself at this point, standing around like I was waiting for takeout.  The cop who was behind me in line started in on some small talk, either innocently or because I was acting suspicious, I don't know.

But pretty soon there it was, and I took it over to sit in the window with a book, like you do.


It was foamy and sweet and alright, I guess.  But $4.45 good?  Getthefugoutahere!

I think you're supposed to nurse it slowly and look really into your book, but I just didn't have time and I'm used to slurping down plain old coffee, so I could really only muster about five minutes of that business.  

But you know what?  They were the right five minutes, because what to my wondering eyes should appear out the window?


"Follow me, son," the General Lee seemed to say.  "Follow me back to coffee."

So I did.

3 comments:

  1. They've got plain black *American* coffee across the street at the Cheerful Tortoise. That's probably where General Lee was heading.

    Also: do you put two spaces after a period? Because that's just not right. Maybe "An experiment with one space after periods" could be your next post. http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I. Can't. Stop. I would need several months of like Clockwork Orange level interventions to kick the two space habit out. It's muscle memory.

      Delete