Saturday, January 2, 2016

#2: Bulletprooooofer Coffee

(Updated 1.28.16)

So my wife told me about some new health hogwash taking the internet by storm, this notion of "bulletproof coffee" which is coffee but with butter in it instead of milk or cream.

OK, sounds good.  But there's one thing we've always known:

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Anything butter can do, bacon can do better
Bacon can do anything better than you
 ♫ ♪
The fat, that is.  So why put butter in coffee when you can put bacon fat in?  (All credit for this concept goes to my wife.)


Well, it should come as no surprise that there is "science" to this, to the extent that science has anything to do with this.  Part of the whole theory of "bulletproof coffee" is that butter is better because you're not drinking casein, i.e. milk proteins.  There's some tiny fraction of the population allergic to casein and some evidence of correlation with instances of cancer and autism.

For the sake of fun, let's stipulate that casein is bad for you.  If so, why put dairy in your coffee at all, when there are entirely casein-free fats that taste even better?

So today I decided to try this thing.


A little internetting told me I needed to actually blend or whip the fat into the coffee.  Otherwise you just have a grease slick on top of black coffee.  Also there is some jive about the tiny bits of fat being more digestible and also aiding in absorption of the antioxidants in coffee.  Again, for the sake of fun let's pretend this is valid.



After a whip, I went ahead and tried



BACON COFFEE.  
Tasting notes: I was kind of hoping this would be a little salty or something, but it just came out tasting incredibly rich.  I'll admit that when there is heavy whipping cream in the fridge I put that in my coffee.  This was like that, but more.  Really hearty, with a bit of a "makes you strong!" vibe.  I could start to see why the people hyping buttered coffee talk about it like it's some kind of Viking elixir.

If bacon coffee is this good, I thought, then how about taking things "anuthuh notch" as the feller says?  As it happened, we also had some beef fat lying around from making a standing prime rib roast on New Year's Day. Hey!  If bacon is better, prime rib fat is betterer!  So on I went to


PRIME RIB COFFEE.
Tasting notes: I am a King!

I had my wife taste the prime rib coffee, and she said "it tastes like Denny's smells."  She meant that in a good way.  That heady mixture of suspended fat and coffee in the air when you walk into a diner?  That's what you got going on here.

Two thumbs up, would try again!

------------------------
1.28.16 UPDATE:

This week I tried

COCONUT OIL COFFEE
Tasting notes: I can honestly report that this is the best thing to happen to coffee since hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment