Friday, January 8, 2016

#7: I Ran Four Blocks to Catch Up to a Bus

(Updated 1.28.16)

You know the thing where you exit your building just to see the bus you were on time for pull away? Well, I do.  And this time I was not going to take it.

I stood around demoralized for a couple minutes, looking at the transit tracker on my phone, which told me another one was coming in 20 damned minutes.  It was cold out.  I was tired.  I cussed and stomped.

Then I peered down the street.  There it was, four blocks away at its next stop.  Just sitting there all smug, full of smug passengers all smug about being on the bus they wanted to catch.

The hell with it.  I knew this was foolish - it was probably going to hit the road any second now - but I just started running.  And the crosswalks all agreed with me! Jesus had taken the wheel!

I ran like the dickens.  And that bus, against all odds, did not budge.

A block away, I saw its doors close up.  Crap.  But then some very slow-moving senior citizens hobbled towards it, waving their arms.  Thank you, Greatest Generation!  You've done it again!  The bus opened back up and hit the hydraulics to let them aboard.  I sprinted up right on their heels.

Victory.

True story.

------------------------
1.28.16 UPDATE: This all happened again.

1 comment: